WinSnap 4.5.2 Full version OS compatibility extends to Windows 8/8.1 (32- and 64-bit). It quickly captures images without popping up any errors, supports hotkeys that can be remapped to suit user preferences, and includes standard drawing tools for enhancing photos to use them in future projects. Captured PNG and TIFF images can be saved while preserving their transparency attributes. It is very simple to apply text or image watermarks with personalized settings. The color filters with automatic adjustments are welcomed as well. The interface is quite attractive, and its options are mostly intuitive. CPU and RAM usage was low during our evaluation.
WinSnap automates all manual work and handle technical issues that previously you might perform only with Photoshop or other image editors. Initially, WinSnap was designed simply to take snapshots of non-rectangular windows, such as windows with XP visual styles, skinned media players, etc. Now it is supplemented with professional smoothing shadows, coloring effects, canvas transformations, ability to automatically save images in various image formats and more.
Now shadows are semi-transparent! It allows really easy image compositing, and it is very useful when placing your screenshots on multi-colour backgrounds. You can quickly open screenshots in your favourite image editor using the Tools menu or shortcut keys. It also allows you to automatically save images into different directories and in different formats. WinSnap allows you to select and capture multiple objects (e.g. windows, dialogs, buttons and controls) at once. Just place a few windows on the screen and easy combine them into one screenshot image.
- Flexible screen capture capabilities: WinSnap can capture full screen or screen regions in various forms, together with separate windows and all visible windows in an entire application. WinSnap easily captures non-rectangular and transparent windows. All void space surrounding separate windows, non-rectangular window forms and regions can then be automatically filled with the background of your choice.
- Professional shadow effects and powerful image processing: WinSnap provides Photoshop-like shadow effects with customizable size, angle, color, smoothing and other settings. The main difference from Photoshop and all other image editing programs is that WinSnap stores all window form information and draws realistic non-rectangular shadows. This is a considerable advantage when you taking snapshots of windows with XP visual styles and skinned windows (e.g. media players). In addition, WinSnap supports outline shadows and basic image coloring effects.
- Basic canvas transformations: WinSnap can automatically rotate and scale images with the highest possible quality. In combination with other effects, it allows you to quickly create high-end thumbnail previews of full-size screenshots.
- Unique Multi-Object capture mode: WinSnap v2.0 allows you to simultaneously select and capture multiple objects (e.g. windows, dialogs, buttons and controls). A few windows can be placed on the screen and easily combined into one screenshot image.
- Work faster with configurable External Tools: You can quickly open screenshots in your favorite image editor using the Tools menu or shortcut keys. This feature also allows you to automatically save images into different directories and in different formats.
- Easy Web publishing and E-mail dispatch: WinSnap was especially developed for Web publishing; HTML-style color themes allow you to easily adapt captured snapshots to your web pages. WinSnap also allows you to quickly send screen data via e-mail to demonstrate a particular problem you might be having with a program.
- Advanced save and copy options: If multiple snapshots are taken, WinSnap can automatically save images onto disk. The filename can be automatically sequenced to prevent you from overwriting previous snapshots. Of course, WinSnap supports all popular image formats such as JPEG, PNG, TIFF, GIF and BMP.
- Keyboard and mouse control: By analogy with TaskSwitchXP, WinSnap is a PrintScreen replacement software. By default, WinSnap replaces the standard PrintScreen key combinations and can operate in a hidden state to remove any signs of WinSnap from the screen. Hotkeys are fully configurable, while it is also possible to undertake all work with the mouse if preferred.
- Aero Glass capturing with shadows and transparencies: WinSnap v2.0 was especially designed for capturing the new Windows Vista UI. It can handle all possible issues with translucent window frames and rounded corners. WinSnap can draw a drop shadow effect that is very similar to the Aero theme.
- Alpha-Channel and PNG transparency support: Now shadows are semi-transparent! This function allows very easy image compositing, and is particularly useful when placing screenshots on multi-color backgrounds.
- Multilingual user interface: WinSnap supports language extensions (Unicode based). If you would like to localize WinSnap to your native language, see instructions at the WinSnaplang subfolder. You can then submit your translation to the NTWind forums.
- Small and fast for an image editor: WinSnap only takes a very small amount of system resources for an image editing program. There is no need to worry about system performance while taking and editing screenshot images. It is smaller than Paint!